This section contains information for magistrates and Judges about services provided by the National Probation Service and the London Community Rehabilitation Company.
These two organisations, launched in June 2014, provide the services previously delivered by London Probation Trust.
You will also find here information about the Probation and Providers and Courts Liaison Group which brings together sentencers and probation to discuss matters of shared concern.
National Probation Service – Responsibilities
- Undertake all court reports and parole reports
- Undertake all initial assessments to determine which provider will manage a case
- Manage offenders who are MAPPA registered, pose a high risk of serious harm, or it is in the public interest to do so
- Be responsible for victim liaison work and management of Approved Premises
- Decide on action in relation to all potential breaches beyond first warning and advise the courts or Secretary of State on sanctions or recall to custody
- Consult on changes in risk of harm.
Community Rehabilitation Companies – Responsibilities
- Manage all medium and low risk of harm offenders excluding MAPPA
- Deliver programmes, excluding Sex Offender Treatment Programmes
- Provide ‘Through the gate’ services for prisoners – a new statutory requirement for all offenders sentenced to less than 12 months’ in custody to be introduced in 2015
- Deliver mentoring services and Restorative Justice
- Deliver Community Payback – in London, the current partnership with Serco will terminate
- During 2014, the Community Rehabilitation Companies will take on the management of Senior Attendance Centres.
Information on Offending Behaviour Programmes.
Attendance Centres – Male
In London, Senior Attendance Centres for male offenders take place fortnightly on a Saturday. There are currently five locations across London:
- Mill Hill – 2017 dates: Jan 7 and 21, Feb 4 and 18, Mar 4, 11 and 25
If you are interested in finding out more about Attendance Centre Requirements why not arrange a visit?
Find a contact: Attendance Centres Contact Details.
Attendance Centres – Female
To arrange a visit to the Women’s Senior Attendance Centre at Camden, please contact:
Officer In Charge – Charlotte Griffiths
Camden Women’s Centre
199 Arlington Road
Phone: 07717 766281
If you are a sentencer and you have any general queries, comments or feedback on Probation please email our dedicated account:
Please note, this email is for use by judiciary only, and not for use by offenders on probation. If you are on probation with either the National Probation Service (London) or the London Community Rehabilitation Company you must contact your local Probation Office directly for information regarding your order.
Local office contact details.